Sunday, July 28, 2013

You Can Go Your Own Way Maxi Dress



 Since the heat spell here continues,  I'm desperate to find the perfect maxi dress pattern.  I've had this double gauze for quite some time so I decided maxi dress, hot weather and gauze could be a match made in heaven....or at in least the 70's.  I love the dress and when I put it on I want to throw on a pair of wedges and sing Fleetwood Mac.  It really feels like the 70's.....but in a good way.  Instead of the casing for elastic at the top of the dress I used elastic thread to make a smocked top (like I did on this project.)  So here is my review of McCall's 6558 on Pattern Review:

Pattern Description:

Pullover tops and dresses have elasticized neck/raised (seamed) waist, and narrow hem

Pattern Sizing:

I made a size 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

This is a simple style that can be changed very easily

Fabric Used:

Pink, red and cream striped double gauze

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I ended up making a few changes:  Instead of making a casing I smocked the top with elastic thread, I did a rolled hem on the upper edge and made halter straps.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes, I'll make this again.  It's so easy and comfortable.






1 comment:

  1. Super cute! My machine *freaks* out about elastic thread, so I am always extra jealous of rouching projects.

    I can't even wear things with the smocked edges because it gives my chest and shoulders the most bizarre shape, so I pout even more than is reasonable about the subject.

    ReplyDelete