Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Simplicity 2373 - My Wedding Box Dress


I'm continuing to work hard on organizing and decorating my sewing room with lots of sewing in between.  Here you can get a peek at what my cabinets look like.  The painted box on the desk is a "wedding box" I received when I got married and it's filled with wedding cards and our guest book.  As I was planning my new room, one of my thoughts was to paint this box and give it a fresh start but as I was moving things around in the room I realized I still love it....23 years later .... 80's tole painting and all.  When I put the dress on the mannequin and took the picture I wasn't thinking about the box but now that I look at it they are a match made in heaven.  So here is a review of Simplicity 2373, my"Wedding Box Dress".

I've made this two times before, one for me and one for my daughter and this one is for me.  Because the dress design is simple it's easy to change up and be creative. 


I used the "Boho Border" from Urban Threads (I love their designs) on the bodice, lengthened the bodice 2" and distributed the gathers on the skirt evenly instead of concentrating the gathers in the front like the pattern suggests.  I bought the fabric at Mood on my trip to New York and I'm really happy with the finished project.


Here's my review at patternreview.com:

Description:
View A sundress with empire waist, shoulder straps and softly gathered skirt.
Pattern Sizing:
I made a size 12.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This dress went together so easily. My favorite part about the pattern itself is the shaped strap. It makes the shoulder strap really stay up on the shoulder so I'm sure I'll use that pattern piece for other dresses. This was a fun dress to make.
Fabric Used:
I made the dress from a 100% cotton lightweight stripe.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I embroidered the bodice front and lengthened the bodice 2" to accommodate the embroidery.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I've made it a few times.  It's a really easy dress to wear.
Conclusion:
This is a great pattern and a great dress for the summer.





No comments:

Post a Comment