Tuesday, November 17, 2015

On Marriage and Tripods


I would imagine there are many of you out there that feel the same way I do about taking blog photos, it's tough.  There are plenty of blog articles out there about how to make your photos better but the truth for me is it's still the toughest part of blogging.  There's nothing worse than trying to pose for photos (I have exactly two "go to" poses) except maybe looking at photos of myself.  But all that self consciousness aside, it has to be done because sewers need to see how garments look on a real person whether or not it's a good hair day, right?

Typically, I pick on whoever is near and has time to get a picture of the newest thing I've made.  The usual victim, I'm sorry for him, is my husband.  Patiently he'll follow me around while I look for the "best light" and then on cue he'll snap away.  In between shots I'll ask him if my shirt is wrinkled or if he "can see the detail" and usually I get a glazed over look that reads "I don't know what she's saying and I hope we'll be done before the hockey game starts."  Truthfully though, no matter what the photographer does and no matter how good the pictures are, I'm not happy with any pictures of myself.  And when you're the photographer, you can take it personally (sorry honey).

iPhone mount on my tripod.
But I'm hear to share with you some sewing blogger marital advice that's taken me quite a while to figure out.  Forget expensive counseling or self help books, the key to a better and more loving marriage is a iPhone tripod adapter, shutter release and a tripod.  

Chopped off head photo (I'm learning)
Last week I ordered this iPhone tripod adapter with a bluetooth shutter release (about $20 on Amazon) and started using it.  I attached the iPhone to my husband's tripod, synced the shutter to my phone (it took all of 30 seconds, no app needed), headed out to my favorite spot and took my own pictures.  It felt like freedom.  Honestly, the photos weren't great (chopped off head and low light) and I've got a lot to learn but I feel like it could be the start of something good.  I can take my time and not feel bad for taking someone's time or being picky.  
I like this one.  Little bit better light and head in tact.
Anyone else out there take their own photos?  Any good pointers?

6 comments:

  1. I misplaced my tripod when we moved a year ago and I have yet to track it down :/ In the meantime I've gone back to setting my camera on top of a cereal box on top of my ironing board and lugging that around lol I definitely need a new system... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vision of this is cracking me up! You get points for creativity! I can't decide if the camera on the cereal box or lugging around the ironing board is funnier.

      Delete
  2. I got a remote and mini iphone tripod last year for Christmas and it has been so awesome! However, I misplaced my remote a couple of months ago and can't find it. It's not that bad because the iphone has a timer. However, I do not like that with the recent update, the timer automatically does a burst of ~10 photos.

    The challenge now is that we are short on daylight hours so I still end up having to wait until the weekend now for pics :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the timer but a burst of 10 photos must add up pretty quickly. I'm going to be putting the remote to the test next week when everyone is home and I try to get a family photo. Wish me luck!

      Delete
  3. My husband used to cut my head or feet off, so I got a digital remote and tripod for my DSLR. I still need to venture out of the yard, but the flexibility it gives you to spend time on the photos is worthwhile. I know two spots in my yard that work and you get used to the distance etc with use. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My husband used to cut my head or feet off" is very funny. I think my husband and yours are happy we finally bought remotes. Cheers!

      Delete