Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The 15-Minute Flannel


I'm glad to be back to Fabricmart's blog with my new cozy flannel.  Sewholic's latest PDF pattern, the Granville Shirt, is the perfect fitted shirt pattern to make a classic flannel shirt while still looking like a girl.  I used this soft plaid 100% cotton flannel from Fabricmart.  It's lightweight and dreamy to wear but it also holds it's shape like a good quality flannel should.


So...it didn't actually take me 15 minutes to make this shirt so why call it the 15 minute flannel, you ask?  Time being what it is in my life right now, I didn't have the opportunity to set aside large blocks of sewing time so I decided to make this shirt in short, 15-20 minute sewing spurts.


A shirt like this, with lots of details, is the perfect project to break up into smaller parts.  I found sewing this way made me take my time and focus on each part to be sure everything was done right.


In just 15 minutes or so I could do quite a few separate things:  apply interfacing and rethread the serger, add pockets and front darts, attach collar band and make collar, make sleeve plackets and sew side seams and set in sleeves.


Sewholic's patterns are geared toward the pear shaped figure which is quite refreshing for the sewing community.  I wouldn't consider myself a pear shape, so I took out some of the hip curve in the side seam.  You can see here it's pretty curvy!  The instructions have lots of drawings and well written step by step instructions which lends itself to sewing in small time increments.


The pattern uses mostly traditional construction techniques aside from the collar.  I was tempted to use my usual collar application but I decided to stick right with the instructions (I know...yay for me for following directions).  The collar band and collar band facing are attached to the neckline of the shirt first (like the photo above), then the collar is attached to the band.  This is the first time I've ever seen this in a collar and I had to read it a few times to get it.  The collar band and facing are then stitched, right sides together from the tip just to where the collar starts.  After turning the collar band right sides out, the collar is sewn to the band and slipped in.  It worked great and it made topstitching a breeze.


I made three small changes to the shirt.  First, I cut the pocket, sleeve cuff and back yoke on the bias, second, I made the collar band facing and cuff facing out of contrasting fabric (polka dots because what could be better?) and lastly, I used pearl snaps instead of buttons and that made it easy and fast.


This Granville pattern is a perfect wardrobe staple  It makes up great in casual flannel but it would be beautiful in a floral voile or classic in crisp white broadcloth.  I'm sure I'll be making it again soon.


This is likely my last winter project and now I'm off to thinking about spring sewing.  What's next for all of you?


My photographer is back from college for the weekend.  Isn't she cute!










8 comments:

  1. This is sooo great! I don't have this pattern (somehow?!) and just really want this exact one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I loved this pattern. Funny you should say "somehow" because I feel like I'm the only one that hasn't made the Archer shirt.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Being chronically ill, I've learned that the only way for me to sew without having massive bouts of pain is sew in "spurts". In fact, I'm toodling around on the internet because I just finished my first 30 minute bout of sewing for a new project and I need to rest awhile before having another go at it :) I usually can only do one or two 30-minute spurts a day and it takes me approx. 5 million years to finish a project. I really, really want to make this Granville, but if a Sorbetto top takes me a week and a half, I wonder how long this would take? Eep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear that you plug away at your projects like I do. It may motivate you to know I wear my Granville all of the time so it really has been worth the time for me. Sewholic is having a sale on patterns. The code for a 33% discount on PDF patterns is BIRTHDAYPDF33. It's a good time to buy.

      Delete
  3. I have just bought this pattern and your lovely version was the main reason. I had been debating for some time. I love the spots with the plaid! I might have to copy come winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to see if you like how the collar is constructed. I'm ready to make it again for the spring!

      Delete
  4. I tend to sew in 20 minute spurts too. It's surprising how quickly you end up sewing up projects. Your shirt looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm shocked how much I got done. I'm making a pair of pants right now with the same sewing spurts.

      Delete