Tuesday, February 3, 2015


January was a great time to start a little spring cleaning and dream about upcoming sewing projects.  I have one more winter project in the works and then it's on to spring.  Although most of my projects begin with a pattern or fabric I absolutely can't live without, I'd like to spend more time on projects that enhance the versatility of my wardrobe.  I'm inspired by Colette's Wardrobe Architect, a series of blog posts containing style therapy and practical ways to focus sewing projects, all while looking and feeling better about yourself.   Although I haven't completed all of the exercises, I did find a lot of value January's exercise, choosing core patterns.

In choosing core patterns that both fit my body type and lifestyle, I found I chose many of my "tried and true" patterns.  These are the patterns I make and wear over and over because they are good styles for me and I have the fit down pat.  I'd like to have a few more of these TNT's so I did some searching and posted these ideas on a Pinterest board.


One of the patterns I came across is a "new to me" pattern, New Look 6194, that I have passed over many times.  I saw a version of this top by on Kollabora by Fruitylily (she's the cutest) that made me to take a second look.  I often wear sleeveless tops because so much of the year it's hot where I live so this will be a great addition to my TNT's. 


I visited the Rebecca Taylor website and found 3 amazing tops I could make from this one pattern.  The first would be beautiful made in cream silk crepe and embellished with black lace.  Simple and feminine without being frilly.


By changing the neckline from boat neck to a v-neck, I would have a completely different blouse.  Made up in a rayon challis with trim at the neck, this is a versatile wardrobe option. 


The third blouse would be lovely in a bright silk charmeuse and chiffon. Paired with jeans,  it makes it easy to look put together.  Mmmmm.

Wardrobe Architect is inspiring me to look at patterns as more of a canvas for creativity.

Are there any other Wardrobe Architecters out there?

2 comments:

  1. I'm following along, architecting! Since I'm ill, and making fitting adjustments/pattern alterations, etc... is very, very hard on me, I'm working on trying to make just a few patterns do a Whole Lot. It took me six months, between illnesses and muscle failure to get the Sorbetto top to fit right. At first I felt super discouraged that it took so long, but now I am trying to think of how many possible ways I can make the Sorbetto work for me, before I embark on another Fitting Adventure. Anne Shirley of Anne of Green Gables always said that there was no imagination in sewing and I used to agree with her. Wardrobe Architect is making me think that perhaps in just this one little thing, Anne was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a lot of imagination in sewing. And I agree, it's good to make a few patterns do a whole lot. Sorbetto is the perfect, classic pattern to have. Can you believe I haven't made one....yet?

      Delete