Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Treat Bags

It's that time of year....for Christmas DIY gifts!  Yay!  Here are come Christmas treat bags I made for food gifts for my neighbors.  Pretend they're filled with salted caramel almond pretzel popcorn, mmmmm.  If you were one of my neighbors I'd give you one!  I think it's safe to share it here because I don't think any of my neighbors read my blog.


I have always admired this "Skinny Santa" embroidery design from Urban Threads and I'm so glad I finally got to use it.  You can make these bags out of any quilting weight fabric.  I got 10 bags out of 2 yards of fabric.

If you're interested here's how I made them:

Cut two pieces of fabric 9" x 14".  I used a lime green striped flannel some lady was holding in her hand at the fabric store.  I grabbed it when she was finished (I hope it didn't make me look desperate).  Flannel is an unlikely choice but I love it!


Optional:  Embroider design. (I placed the center of my design 8" down from the top and in the middle of the width.  I used the "Skinny Santa" design in the small size and increased it's size on my embroidery machine by 10%.  Look....he's waving at you.


With rights sides together, stitch both sides and bottom with a 1/2" seam allowance.


Here's the tricky part:  To make the gusset, pull front a back apart from each other at bottom corner. Put side seam right sides together along bottom seam, forming a triangle.


With a fabric marker, draw a line 1" in from the point of the triangle as shown.  Stitch along the line.  Repeat on the other side.


Fold down top 3" (or whatever amount you need for the size bag you need) and press.

Turn right side out and do a final press.

And now fill it with this recipe!  Yummmmm.




Merry Christmas Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment