Sunday, May 1, 2016

Anna Sui Georgia Hack


I bought this Anna Sui fabric back in February on a trip to Mood Fabrics.  It almost became one of those fabrics I couldn’t cut into because it is just too pretty.  It’s silly treat fabric that way so I forced myself to cut it anyway. 

This fabric lends itself to a simple pattern because a frilly blouse combined with this print would end up looking too young for me.  I wanted something easy to wear and casual.  I believe the fabric is silk but it really feels more like a silk/cotton blend because although it has a sheen, it drapes more like a cotton lawn than a charmeuse.

I used the Georgia Top View C.  I know most sewers look at this pattern and think “sweatshirt” but Georgia is more versatile.  View C is made for a woven fabrics combined with knit bands.  

There are some master Georgia hackers out there and I’d almost call this a hack but I only made three simple modifications: 
  1. I hemmed the bottom and sleeves.
  2. I added a bias trim on the neck instead of a knit neckband.
  3. I added a front keyhole with pintucks next to it.

It was simple a fun and I’m glad I cut into this precious fabric. I’d like to made a solid cream skirt to go with it.

Happy Sewing!  Diane

4 comments: