Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pattern Hack Halter Dress - Part 1


I want to share with you an in-progress "pattern hack" dress project I have working in my sewing room.  Halter dresses seem to be all the rage this summer and I figured this cotton crepe that's been sitting in my stash for quite a while would be perfect.


I started by using this Simplicity pattern for the armhole shape.  After cutting off 1" at the top of the bodice, I pinned in six pleats on my dress form, marked them and sewed them down.  The smoother look of the pleats was better with the cotton than a drawstring.



After the pleats were in, I marked and cut a facing for the strap to run through.



I'm using some black seam binding to determine the length of the strap but I will be making the strap out of the fabric.


The skirt is up next!  I'll post the finished dress soon!

Happy Sewing!



1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I love your designs. I was wondering if you are thinking about making plus patterns? I would love to buy your patterns but I don't want to do a lot of grading.

    ReplyDelete