Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Fabricista Border Print Dress


Once again I'm so happy to be a contributor on the FabricMart blog.  Here's my project for April:

When I was little, I loved when my mom took me to the fabric store in the pink building (by the way, my kids have never "loved" going to the fabric store).  I would go up and down the aisles with my hands outstretched so I could feel the fabrics.  My love for fabrics started when I was very young and I admit, I can get nostalgic about fabrics.


My mom was a sewer and I remember many of the things she made, but one blouse in particular really impressed me.  She took a design class at a local college when I was 7 or 8 years old and made a two color tunic with an ogee print at the neckline and on the cuffs.  I thought she looked beautiful in it! When I saw this cotton print on the Fabricmart website, it took me back to that blouse and I knew I had to have this fabric.


Border prints can be scary for sewers because we never know what to make with them aside from the typical dirndl skirt with the border at the hem.  When I saw this black and magenta ogee print with hot pink floral border I knew I wouldn't use it as a border on a skirt, but I would put it on the neckline....just like my mom did.




I used new McCall’s pattern 7119, view C, a maxi wrap dress with short sleeves.  I chose it in part because it has a neckband with a shape that would fit within the width of the border but also because a wrap dress is really comfortable.


It can be difficult to determine how much fabric is needed on a border print so a little extra is always a good idea.  I ordered 4 yards and used all of the border print (down to 2”!) primarily because the waist ties are very long.  However, I have plenty of black fabric left over to make another small project.


The dress went together quickly and the instructions were well written.  I chopped the maxi length to a midi length because making the dress go all the way to the floor would've looked heavy.  This pattern is a great choice for a beginning/intermediate sewist and certainly something I will make again.  



This is my first dress of the season and I'm looking forward to making it again.  Next time I'll make the sleeveless version because I know some hot weather is on the way.  


Do you have any summer dress patterns on your cutting table?  I'd love to know what you're making.

Happy Sewing!  









9 comments:

  1. Great combination of pattern and fabric. Love your use of the border print - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress. Nice use of the border print.

    I remember being little and touching all of the fabrics in the fabric store as well! I was always drawn to the silky fabrics :) This was back when JoAnn would have their fabrics on the circular tables. I would go around and around them touching everything! Thanks for the memory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my nostalgic fabric friend! I have a fabric store very close to me with circular tables. I love it.

      Delete
  3. I love your dress! And since patterns are on sale, I may order this one. I have a pale pink stretch linen, short sleeved dress cut out on my table and will make it today to wear to a baby shower on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new dress for an event makes the party so much better, doesn't it? And the deadline makes us finish our projects!

      Delete
  4. I am working on this pattern now and I'm at the end having trouble understanding how the bodice connects with the bands in the front, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working on this pattern now and I'm at the end having trouble understanding how the bodice connects with the bands in the front, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Open the bodice and facing up completely, then attach the skirt to the bodice and band only, leaving the facing free. Then fold the facing back over the band. Does this help?

      Delete